IT IS NOW four league defeats in a row for Wycombe Wanderers after they were narrowly beaten by bogey-side Yeovil.

Blues had never beaten the Glovers in their past four meetings and that run stretched to five games thanks to a wonder-strike from Ed Upson early on.

Gary Waddock's side, minus the injured Gareth Ainsworth and Stuart Beavon, left it late to click into gear in the second-half and were denied a point by a stunning Jed Steer goal in the final 15 minutes.

But it was another toothless display from Blues, who have not scored in four league games, and saw them drop into the League One dropzone.

It only took eight minutes for Wanderers to curse their luck after the penalty fiasco against Brentford.

This time they could have no arguments about Yeovil's opener when Upson picked up a loose ball in midfield and unleashed a superb strike from 30 yards.

Blues stopper Nikki Bull was caught off guard and he was unable to keep the effort out despite getting fingertips to the shot.

Wycombe responded well with Joel Grant firing wide but it was the Glovers who created the better chances with Steven MacLean hitting the crossbar and Upson seeing a low shot cleared off the line by Danny Foster.

Wanderers ended the half with a long-range effort from Stuart Lewis, which Yeovil stopper Jed Steer could easily gather while Leon Johnson headed a corner wide and Grant turned in the box before curling the ball past the post.

Wycombe needed a spark and some decent time on the ball after Yeovil racked up 62 per cent of first-half possession.

And striker Ben Strevens should have levelled within five minutes of the restart when Ben Strevens rose to meet a corner but somehow headed over from six yards out.

But, like in the weekend defeat to Brentford, much of their threat was coming from long-range efforts with Kevin Betsy the latest Blues player to send a shot over the bar on 55 minutes.

That was down to a combination of good Yeovil defending and a lack of invention by Wycombe in the final third.

But Wanderers were improving as the game went on and kept knocking at the Yeovil door and Waddock even threw on 18-year-old Kadeem Harris to try and make the difference as the teenager returned to the ground where he made his debut as a 16-year-old in 2009.

The visitors looked odds-on to equalise with 15 minutes to play when Benyon glanced a deep Sandell free-kick towards goal from four yards out.

As he turned to celebrate, he saw Glovers stopper Steer claw the ball away with a magnificent stop to keep his side ahead.

It turned out to be a crucial save as Yeovil held on for the spoils and to heap more misery on a struggling Wanderers.

YEOVIL: Steer, Ayling, Jones, Huntington, Upson, MacLean, Edgar (Blizzard 85), Ehmer, O'Brien (Gilbert 80), Agard (Massey 68), Wotton.

Subs (not used): N'Gala, Bell-Baggie.

Booked: Ayling (18 mins), Wotton (73 mins).

WANDERERS: Bull, Foster, Johnson, Tunnicliffe, Sandell, Betsy (Harris 71), Lewis (Bloomfield 76), Donnelly, Grant, Benyon, Strevens (Rendell 62).

Subs (not used): Harding, McCoy.

Booked: None.

Att: 3,134.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest Wycombe Wanderers news.