AN ALL-TOO familiar Wycombe Wanderers turned up at Glanford Park for their relegation six-pointer with Scunthorpe.

Shambolic set-piece defending, toothless attacking, being outfought all over the pitch and bottom of the table.

It is a sentence that has been written about Wanderers far too often this season but after last weekend's win over Hartlepool we all hoped it was banished to memory.

But a pathetic showing against Scunthorpe, who scored two of their goals while playing with ten-men in the second-half, showed they are not ready to mount a serious survival bid.

With Chesterfield winning, it dumped them back to rock-bottom and staring at a five point gap to safety.

Wanderers, without back-to-back wins all season, were dealt a blow before kick-off with top scorer Stuart Beavon missing the game with a groin injury picked up in training on Thursday.

That meant a first league start for Matt McClure - who was the only change from the side that convincingly won last weekend.

And the 20-year-old's late consolation header – his first in professional football – was the only highlight of a miserable afternoon.

Wanderers served up a shadow of last week's performance as they handed the Iron two first-half set-piece gifts in a return to their dark defensive days.

Scunthorpe, with the worst home record in the division, were ahead after just five minutes when Wycombe failed to clear a corner to allow David Mirfin to fire at Blues stopper Nikki Bull.

Bull parried the close range effort but it fell to Iron captain Paul Reid to prod home the opener.

The home side continued to show more belief and desire for the battle but could not find their shooting range.

Michael O'Connor sent one out of the ground before Mirfin turned Mark Duffy's centre past the post.

But they had little to worry about at the other end with Wanderers as ineffective as an attacking force as they were proving at the back.

McClure turned a fired over the bar while Iron stopper Sam Slocombe was able to comfortably watch an Eastmond effort fly off-target.

But instead of keeping things tight, Wycombe conceded another howler.

An in-swinging corner caused chaos yet again and it was left for Mark Barcham to react quickest and poke home the second on 34 minutes.

Wanderers looked lost for ideas but were handed a lifeline when O'Connor saw red for his wild kick out at Eastmond on the stroke of half-time to leave Scunthorpe looking to protect their healthy lead with ten men after the break.

It was a glimmer of hope for Waddock's side. But they would need to show a drastic second-half improvement to take advantage.

Unfortunately, that was too much to ask.

And their misery at Glanford Park continued two minutes after the restart when one through ball from Duffy carved them open with Barcham showing great composure to net his second and Scunthorpe's third.

The usual Wycombe capitulation followed on 55 minutes when Bull fumbles a long-range Josh Walker free-kick for Jon Parkin to tap in the fourth.

Waddock switched to a 4-3-3 in a bid to salvage some pride with Ben Strevens replacing defender Louis Laing but their crushed spirit and confidence was all-too evident.

Instead it was Scunthorpe who threatened to extend their lead at will with Walker clipping over and Parkin producing a good stop from Bull.

And it was Wycombe, and the 194 fans who made the trip north, who were grateful for the final whistle to put them out of their misery – not before McClure headed in his first for the club with four minutes to play.

They have to be ready to put it right at home to Leyton Orient or Tuesday or it could well be curtains.

SCUNTHORPE: Slocombe, Ribeiro, Mirfin, Reid, Reckford, Duffy (Thompson 79), O'Connor, Walker, Mozika, Barcham (Grant 80), Parkin (Robertson 81).

Subs (not used): Byrne, Ryan.

Booked: Mirfin (62 mins), Parkin (74 mins).

Sent-off: O'Connor (45 mins).

WANDERERS: Bull, McCoy, Laing (Strevens 56), Doherty, Basey, Hackett (Ainsworth 49), Lewis (Bloomfield 56), Eastmond, McNamee, McClure, Hayes.

Subs (not used): Foster, Johnson.

Booked: Hackett (7 mins).

Att: 3,811.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest Wycombe Wanderers news.