A STUNNING hat-trick from Stuart Beavon saw Wycombe romp to victory at relegation rivals Bury.

The Wanderers striker took his tally for the season to 20 goals in another inspired display that helped his side win on the road for the first time since October.

The three points – which moved Blues to within one point of safety – were the perfect present for boss Gary Waddock who was celebrating his 50 th birthday at Gigg Lane.

Wycombe arrived at Bury with good memories after a 3-1 win set up promotion last season and will wish they could play the Shakers every week.

They had to endure some nervy moments, including a missed penalty for the home side, but they showed the determination, commitment and spirit to lift themselves from danger.

And with Beavon in unplayable form and striker partner Paul Hayes continuing his own scoring run, they have the goals to survive.

Impossible to take your eyes off, the first-half was a frantic affair.

But Wycombe got off to the perfect start thanks to a superb opening spell by Blues right-back Marvin McCoy.

The 23-year-old nicked the ball inside his own half and raced the length of the pitch before cutting the ball back for Hayes.

The striker dummied the ball with Beavon on hand to turn and fire into the top corner for the opener after just five minutes.

However – as we know this season - nothing is ever simple with Wanderers.

And they held their lead for just six minutes when Shaun Harrad was left unmarked to head in a corner after Nikki Bull had tipped over a teasing Giles Coke cross.

But signs that this is a different Wycombe came less than 60 seconds later.

Instead of their usual capitulation on the road, they immediately regained their lead and McCoy again was the instigator.

He continued to cause chaos down Bury's left and found himself in a great position to take advantage of some woeful home defending.

His cross was helped on by Beavon for Hayes to tap in his fourth goal in five games.

The Shakers faithful were anxious with striker Mike Grella scuffing a shot when well-placed and Mark Carrington scooping a long-range effort embarrasingly high over the bar before the break.

But they had enough of the ball in and around Wycombe's box for them to know they faced a tough 45 minutes to bank the precious points.

And Bury carved the first half-chance of the second-half when a failure to clear another corner ended with Shakers captain Efe Sodje firing into the side netting as the home side piled on the pressure early on.

And that pressure saw substitute Grant Basey crack on 52 minutes.

His needless push on Mark Hughes, after replacing Danny Foster at half-time, gave the referee no choice but to point to the spot and give Bury the chance to level.

But midfielder Giles Coke saw his tame penalty come back off the post and let Wycombe off the hook. Could they punish them?

The answer was nearly yes on 58 minutes when midfielder Craig Eastmond saw his shot saved by Shakers stopper Trevor Carson with Hayes seeing his follow-up effort deflected over the bar.

It was now an end-to-end, blood and thunder game – winner takes all.

And it was Bull's turn to be called into action on the hour mark when Grella fed David Worral but the midfielder saw his shot and follow-up header well saved by the Blues goalkeeper.

It was time for a big player to step up and calm the Wycombe nerves.

Who else but their top scorer Beavon whose deflected shot, and 19 th strike of the season, nestled in the bottom corner to give them a vital two-goal cushion.

If that was good then his third was a class apart.

A superb pass by Eastmond was perfectly placed for Beavon to rifle in his 20 th of the season and send the away support into raptures and leave the home fans heading for the exits with 20 minutes to go.

It was a huge result for Wanderers – now unbeaten in three games – ahead of another crucial away game to Exeter on Tuesday night.

BURY: Carson, Skarz, Worrall, Sodje, Hughes, Carrington, Coke, Hughes (Bishop 66), Elford-Alliyu, Harrad, Grella (Amoo 60)

Subs (not used): Picken, Cregg, Branagan.

Booked: Hughes (36 mins).

WANDERERS: Bull, McCoy, Winfield, Doherty, Foster (Basey 46), Lewis, Bloomfield, Eastmond, Strevens, Beavon (McClure 86), Hayes (Hackett 82).

Subs (not used): Laing, Ainsworth.

Booked: None.

Att: 2,479.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest Wycombe Wanderers news.