WYCOMBE sunk to the bottom of League One after a first-half defensive horror show and a hat-trick from Brentford striker Gary Alexander cost them.

Last weekend's win over Rochdale was a distant memory for Wanderers after they shipped three dreadful goals in a miserable first 45 minutes at Griffin Park.

Brentford looked like scoring every time they crossed the halfway line as Wycombe's defence imploded time and time again with Gary Alexander netting a brace and Sam Saunders the other.

Second-half improvements only served as further frustration at their first-half collapse but goals from Toumani Diagouraga and Alexander completing his hat-trick meant Dave Winfield and Ben Strevens goals were purely a meagre consolation for Wanderers.

Coupled with Chesterfield's Friday night win and victories for Yeovil and Rochdale it saw Gary Waddock's side slump to rock-bottom of the table.

Their only crumb of comfort came from knowing they are only two points from climbing out of the relegation zone completely.

Wanderers did carve out an early chance when in-demand striker Stuart Beavon bore down on goal but saw his effort saved by Richard Lee with the rebound coming back off the Blues striker and behind for a goal-kick on eight minutes.

But Brentford, who were without a win in seven before this clash, were gifted the first of their goals two minutes later when Jake Bidwell crossed for Alexander to head in.

The Bees striker had seven goals in eight games before this game but the visiting defence still managed to leave the 32-year-old completely unmarked.

If that was bad enough then worse followed on 22 minutes when Wanderers defence wasted countless chances to clear the ball to allow Saunders to drill in from close range.

A decent travelling support of 919 were left stunned six minutes later when a carbon copy of the first goal put their side 3-0 down.

Bidwell was again allowed to cross unchallenged for Alexander to tap in this time in the six yard box.

A glancing header wide by ex-Brentford striker Strevens was a rare chance for the visitors who were facing a morale-crushing defeat at the break.

But hopes of a stirring comeback were raised within two minutes of the restart when Winfield headed in a Grant Basey free-kick to hand Wanderers a lifeline.

Wycombe had improved – although it was hard not to after such a poor first-half – but continued to look shaky at the back.

Even when Waddock's side were getting into decent shooting positions they were wildly off target with new signing James Harper and Matt Bloomfield guilty of blazing efforts high and wide.

Wanderers attacking emphasis left them open at the back but goalkeeper Nikki Bull was alert to deny a 69 th minute Marcus Bean effort at the near post.

But the home side restored their three-goal lead four minutes later when Toumani Diagouraga turned in a low Bean cross to end Wycombe's comeback hopes until Strevens bundled in a corner moments later to make it 4-2.

The icing on the cake for the home side came nine minutes from time when Alexander superbly volleyed in for his hat-trick.

For Wycombe, it is back to the drawing board ahead of a must-win game at home to Tranmere next weekend and, hopefully, some transfer deadline day business at Adams Park.

BRENTFORD: Lee, Bean, Legge, Bidwell, Dean, Douglas, Saunders (Weston 80), Logan, Diagouraga, Alexander, Donaldson.

Subs (not used): Moore, Eger, McGinn, Forrester.

Booked: Diagouraga (87 mins), Dean (90 mins).

WANDERERS: Bull, Foster, Laing, Winfield, Basey, Harper, Bloomfield, Lewis (Ainsworth 46), Grant, Strevens, Beavon.

Subs (not used): Rendell, McCoy, Kewley-Graham, McClure.

Booked: Winfield (17 mins), Harper (84 mins).

Att: 5,560.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest Wycombe Wanderers news.