The coach driver arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving following the crash on the M1 has been released.

Police are appealing for witnesses to the collision, which happened on the northbound hard shoulder of the M1 between junction 12 and 13 at 6.46am Saturday.

Three men travelling to their Buckinghamshire homes following a night out in London died after the coach crashed into their stationary Audi A3.

The men who died were a man in his 50s from London, and two men in their 20s.

One has been named as Nathan Reeves, 23, from Milton Keynes, Bucks.

The two other men killed in the collision have not yet been named.

Police say one is also from Milton Keynes, and the other - the driver - is from London.

The fourth person in the car, in his 20s, from Milton Keynes, was airlifted to the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, where he is in a critical but stable condition following surgery.

Police have confirmed the coach driver has been released on unconditional bail to return in May.

The double-decker coach smashed into the stationary car on the hard shoulder near Flitwick.

The friends were travelling back from a night out in London in a blue Audi A3 on the M1 before dawn on Saturday morning when the car broke down.

They were being driven by a man, from London, in his late 50s.

It was believed he was a family friend giving the group a lift home.

As they sat in the vehicle on the hard shoulder of the motorway near Flitwick, a double-decker coach veered off the carriageway and slammed into their car.

Nathan and one of his friends died instantly in the crash, along with the older driver.

Video Loading

No-one on board the coach, which was believed to be carrying a cheerleading team from Kent, was hurt.

Last night Nathan’s family were being comforted at the home he shared with his mother Lynn in Newport Pagnell, Bucks.

The killed men's next of kin have been informed and are being supported by trained family liaison officers.


Nathan’s aunt, Cathy Reeves-Macey, tweeted about the double tragedy which had hit her family.

On social media, she said: “Can’t believe it to think two young nephews in this photo are gone.

“My heart is truly broken x Two nephews gone in 4 months, my family don’t understand how life can be so crawl (sic)!

“We’re in shock, how can this be real my poor family.”

A total of four people were killed in motorway crashes yesterday as families hit the roads for half-term breaks.

The two fatal crashes happened within an hour of each other and caused traffic to come to a virtual standstill.

A 40 vehicle pile-up in thick fog on the M40 in Oxfordshire left one man dead, another person fighting for life and injured 40 more.